Blue Mermaid Chowder House & Bar
Executive Chef Steven Connolly joined the team at the Blue Mermaid Chowder House & Bar in San Francisco adjacent to the Argonaut Hotel, in 2007. Born and raised in Manhattan, New York, Chef Steven's culinary career extends over 30 years. His passion for cooking was born in his mother's kitchen, when at a young age he knew he wanted to be a chef.
After apprenticing with many fine chefs in New York City, Chef Steven found himself Chef of Mezzaluna, one of Manhattan's newest and most upcoming restaurants. After a long and successful career with Mezzaluna he decided to move to San Francisco and open his own restaurant called, Venticello, which became a very successful Nob Hill restaurant and is still flourishing today, 19 years later. After deciding to start a family Chef Steven moved on to McCormick and Schmick's Seafood Restaurants where he was immediately made Executive Chef of Spanger's in Berkeley for 7 years. Soon after another opportunity opened up at the Palomino, an upscale Mediterranean restaurant in San Francisco. Finally, Chef Steven was approached by top chef Jan Burmbaum to join the Kimpton Group.
- Q: What Special Award/Recognition are you most proud of?
- A: First place award at the Schweppes Great Chowder Cook Off in Rhode Island
- Q: Who is your culinary mentor?
- A: Graham Kerr
- Q: What is your favorite ingredient to cook with?
- A: A little goes a long way and adds depth of flavor to dishes with even just a pinchâsalt, of course.
- Q: Who would you most like to cook for?
- A: Assuming I could choose from living and passed, definitely Abraham Lincoln.
- Q: What is your favorite cookbook?
- A: The Silver Spoon
Recipe from Chef Connolly
Connolly's California Dungeness Crab and Corn Chowder
Blue Mermaid | 471 Jefferson St, San Francisco, CA 94109 | Phone: 1-415-771-2222 | www.bluemermaidsf.com